subtitle

Life as the textile expert at a regional history museum

Sunday, February 2, 2014

I Can't Help It. Go Hawks!!

"Seattle is basically a city of losers, so as soon as someone or something from Seattle starts to win or do well, the city just goes ballistic"  -- Seattle-raised actor Rainn Wilson

If your attitude about the Superbowl is like mine virtually every other year, you might not know that the Seattle Seahawks are playing the Denver Broncos in a big football game later today. And Seattle is having a total civic pride meltdown about it. "12th Man" flags are popping up everywhere, businesses are closing so their employees can watch the game, and when I went to the dentist on Wednesday it appeared that Seahawks jerseys had replaced the regular dentil hygienist uniform.

Usually I would get upset at being called "a city of losers," but to some degree Rainn Wilson is right. No one questions our tech credibility or our history of producing talented musicians, but in other city awesomeness categories, we feel like we are constantly treated like a joke. Sports is one of those categories. And for me, fashion is another big one. I mean, when I was in grad school I had a professor ask "why would anyone care?" when I floated the idea of researching something from Seattle, and now I am attempting to build a career out of proving her wrong. Seattle angst runs deep.

If the Seahawks win today, I can't even imagine the elation and cathartic release that the city is going to experience. And if the Seahawks lose, we will all just spend the rest of the day in devastated, quiet contemplation.

(You know what is weird about this? 1) If I was reading this post about any other city/sports team I would be rolling my eyes about how worked up people get about a stupid game and 2) by the time most of you read this the Superbowl will be over and you will know the result)

But on to the most important thing: WHAT WILL I WEAR???

I'm told that oversized "jerseys" are the standard. Unfortunately the only oversized shirt I have has raccoons on it.


This is not the shirt to wear when demanding respect for Seattle sports teams and our sense of style. I'll work on it.

--------------------------------------
Sunday evening update:

DID SEATTLE JUST WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP??????


I have basically been making this face for three hours now. 

2 comments:

  1. Hourglass Footwear has developed a 12th Woman line of their gorgeous hand-painted heels. Mayhaps you'll get a pair? ;) http://www.hourglassfootwear.com/category_s/1911.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! They are gorgeous, but I'm not quite that big of a football fan yet. They have so many other designs that I love more!

    ReplyDelete